Apple and Cranberry Holiday Bread
Christmas is right around the corner! I cant believe it. This time of the year always seems to fly by but I feel like it was especially true for us this year. We went to NYC last weekend and were able to see all of Manhattan's Christmas decorations, which was perfect to jump right into the spirit!
Another thing that Manhattan has going for it, is amazing baked goods! So many french pastry shops and specialty bakers to choose from. I created this Apple Cranberry spin to a traditional Banana Bread to be perfect to bake ahead and bring to all of your holiday get together or to snack on while opening presents!
To begin, we need to cook the fresh cranberries. You could use dried cranberries but fresh give a great flavor and add moisture to the bread. In a saucepan over medium heat, add in the water and fresh cranberries. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the cranberries have completely softened and water is dissolved. Turn off the heat and let the cranberries cool. While those are cooling, peel and chop a granny smith apple to be ready for later on.
In a stand mixer, add all of the wet ingredients; melted coconut oil, maple syrup, apple sauce, banana, vanilla extract, nut milk, and 1 egg. I did use an egg in this recipe to try to get more of a structure with the moisture going on with the other ingredients. However, if you used dry cranberries, a flax egg could work great!
Whisk the wet ingredients together to thoroughly mix and to mash the banana until smooth. In a separate bowl, sift together the almond flour, gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
With the mixer on slow, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir until halfway mixed. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add in the cranberries and chopped apple. Finish stirring until everything is just incorporated and evenly mixed.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 50- 55 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes and then slice and eat!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 cup Fresh Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 1/4 cup Nut Milk
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1 1/3 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tbs Cinnamon
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- Coconut Sugar
STEP BY STEP.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add 1/4 cup of water along with the fresh cranberries. Let these cook for 10-15 minutes or until they have opened and are softened. Turn off heat and let cool.
- While those are cooling, Peel a Granny Smith Apple and chop it up. Set aside to stir into the batter later on.
- In your stand mixer or a large bowl, add in melted coconut oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, vanilla extract, nut milk egg, and banana. Stir until it is mixed and smooth.
- Sift together the dry ingredients into a different bowl; almond flour, gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg. Slowly add these dry ingredients into the mixer with the wet ingredients while mixing slowly.
- Once the batter is close to coming together, add in the cranberries and chopped apple. Using a spatula finish folding the dough together until everything is just mixed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and sprinkle to top with a little coconut or raw sugar for crunch. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.