Spiced Cranberry Lentil Balls
I previously posted the recipe for my Lentil Balls. I use them all of the time in my favorite pasta dishes and have them ready in the freezer for quick meals. However, with Thanksgiving one week away, I wanted to create an appetizer using this vegan and vegetarian base.
The Spiced Cranberry sauce is perfect for any fall or winter get together, but I highly suggest having these on hand for your Thanksgiving meal! They are a guaranteed crowd please and something you can brag about making completely homemade, but they don't need to know how simple it really is.
You can either make these Lentil Balls fresh or pull them out from the freezer if you have made them ahead of time! Just follow the recipe, here!
For the sauce, heat a sauce pan over medium-low heat and caramelize the diced red onion with 1 tbs of olive oil. To caramelize the onion, stir occasionally and let cook for 20-25 minutes. Once caramelized, stir in the minced garlic and let cook for 1 minute. Add in the fresh cranberries, chopped jalapeno, grated ginger, lime juice, vegetable broth and stir it together while scrapping the pan to get all of the flavor up from the bottom of the pan. Finally, stir in the maple syrup and salt and reduce heat to low. Cook the sauce until everything has softened, 25 minutes and add the contents to a blender. Blend on high until smooth and add to a large bowl.
Take your Lentil Balls and either bake them fresh or warm them up in the oven if frozen. Once warmed and baked, remove them and add to the bowl with the cranberry sauce. Gently stir to cover the balls and serve on a platter with toothpicks to each!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 2 cups Fresh Cranberries
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbs Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 tbs Chopped Jalapeno
- 1 tps Grated Ginger
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Diced Red Onion
- 3 tbs Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Salt
STEP BY STEP.
- Create the Lentil Balls shown at the recipe here
- Place a sauce pan over medium-low heat with 1 tbs olive oil. Add in the diced red onion and cook for 20-3 25 minutes or until caramelized. Add in minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- To the pan, add the fresh cranberries, diced jalapeno, grated ginger, lime juice, and vegetable broth. Stir everything together. Add in the salt and maple syrup and reduce heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes for everything to soften.
- Add the sauce in the sauce pot to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Dump the sauce into a large bowl.
- Cook or warm previously frozen lentil balls in the oven. Once done/warm, add them to the bowl with the sauce and gently stir to cover.
- Serve on a platter with toothpicks for eating.