No it is not grilling season, so therefore, it is not burger season. However, these vegetable burgers are so good and can be made in advance/frozen for convenience, that they are perfect all year round!
These burgers have great flavor, great texture, and are strong enough to grill inside or outside, depending on your weather.
In a blender, blend up your oats until it forms 1 cup of oat flour. Add oat flour to a large bowl and then blend your sunflower seeds until finely chopped and add those to the bowl with the oat flour.
Next, we need to make our flax eggs. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbs flaxseed meal with 5 tbs of water. Let this sit for 5 minutes to thicken. Once thickened, add the flax eggs to the blender, drained can of black beans, garlic, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire, soy sauce, adobo chiles, adobo sauce, diced onion, salt and pepper. Blend on high until everything is smooth. Set the blender aside.
Using a grater, grate the carrot, beet, and sweet potato. Add the grated vegetables to the bowl with the oat flour and sunflower seeds and stir to evenly mix everything. Next, add in the wet ingredients from the blender, along with chopped fresh parsley. With a spatula or your hands, stir everything together until it is mixed.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and portion the mixture out to 7-8 sections. Take one portion and roll it together with wet hands and then press down to form a patty. Place each patty out on the parchment paper and once all patties are formed, place them in oven.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, flipping halfway through. After baking, you can wrap them and freeze them in freezer safe bags. Whenever you want to eat them, be sure the patty is fresh or thawed from the freezer.
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat and drizzle the baked patties with a little olive oil so they don't stick. Grill for 5 minutes on each side.
Serve on bread or on their own with your favorite toppings!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 cup Oat Flour
- 1/2 cup Roasted and Unsalted Sunflower Seeds
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 tbs Flaxseed meal and 5 tbs water)
- 3 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire
- 1 tsp Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 Adobo Chiles
- 1 tbs Adobo Sauce
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Small Beet
- 1 Carrot
- 1 cup Grated Sweet Potato
- 1/2 cup Diced Onion
- 1/4 cup Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
STEP BY STEP.
- In a blender, blend oats to form 1 cup of oat flour and add that to a large bowl. Then blend your sunflower seeds until finely chopped and add that to the same bowl.
- In a small bowl, form the 2 flax eggs; stirring 2 tbs of flaxseed meal with 5 tbs of water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add flax eggs to the emptied blender, along with the drained can of black beans, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire, soy sauce, garlic, adobo peppers, adobo sauce, salt, pepper, and onion. Blend on high until smooth and set aside.
- Grate a raw small beet, raw carrot, and raw sweet potato. Add the grated vegetables to the large bowl with oat flour and sunflower seeds. Stir to evenly mix.
- To the large bowl with the dry ingredients, add the contents form the blender, along with fresh chopped parsley, and stir until mixed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Form 7-8 patties out of the mixture and lay out on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- When ready to heat, grease the grill or grill pan and grill for 5 minutes on each side.