It's soup season! I used to only eat soup when I was sick and never craved it that much. I have recently fallen in love with soups because I am WI and they are warm, plus there are endless options to appease any craving I have.
This Tortilla Soup has a little spice, a little zest, and a whole lot of flavor! Plus, it is vegan and gluten free...so there is literally nothing to not like about it.
To make this soup, place a large sauce pan over medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Once heated up, add in diced onion, diced bell pepper, diced sweet potato, and garlic cloves. Sauté for 10-12 minutes, or until onions are translucent and you can smell the garlic.
Once everything is sautéed, empty the sauce pan out into a bowl. Place the empty sauce pan back over medium heat and add in 1/2 can of the corn and black beans. Sauté for 7-10 minutes and then add in the seasoning; cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
After those 7-10 minutes, add in 5 cups of vegetable broth and 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes. Using an emersion blender, blend the contents until they are smooth.
Reduce the heat to medium low. Now we will stir in 1 tbs of tomato paste, the other half of the canned corn and beans, and the sautéed onions, pepper, and sweet potato.
By pureeing half of the beans and corn, you are left with a thick texture and the corn flavor, without having to add the corn tortilla itself. However, if you want, feel free to add in 1 corn tortilla broken up and cook with the beans and corn for those 7-10 minutes before pureeing.
Whether you have added the corn tortilla or not, at this point, we will add the juice of 1 lime and 1/4 cup of cilantro or parsley. Stir it all together and cook covered over medium-low heat until warmed through or you are ready to eat!
Top with cheese if you wish, jalapenos, tortilla chips, green onions...pretty much anything you would want on your tacos or fajitas are all great options.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 15 oz can of Black Beans
- 1 15 oz can of Corn
- 5 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 15 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tbs Tomato Paste
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 cups Diced Onion
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tbs Cumin
- 1 tbs Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley or Cilantro
- Toppings of choice!
STEP BY STEP
- Place a large sauce pan over medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Add in chopped onion, diced, bell pepper, diced sweet potato, and minced garlic cloves. Stir and sauté for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove sautéed vegetables from the sauce pan to another bowl. Place the emptied sauce pan back over medium heat and add half of a can of both corn and black beans, along with 1 torn up corn tortilla if you choice. Sauté for 7-10 minutes.
- Add 1 can of crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Puree with emersion blender until smooth.
- To the pureed soup, add in the other half of canned corn and beans, tomato paste, sautéed vegetables, tomato paste, parsley/cilantro, and juice of 1 lime.
- Cook covered over medium-low heat until warmed through or ready to eat! Top with cheese (if not vegan), tortilla chips, green onions, jalapenos...