Grilled Pesto Farro Bowls
Grilled kabobs, lemon mustard farro, roasted cauliflower and homemade pesto…I assumed it would be a good combination and my intuition was correct. This is a great light summer meal and can have a ton of variation, so perfect to use up whatever you have on hand!
To begin this recipe, we make the two sauces. First is the pesto and I have a ton of basil in my herb garden to use up! In a blender, add 2 cups of fresh basil leaves, 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, 1 tbs red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or parmesan, 1/2 cup walnuts and a sprinkle of salt. Turn the blender on high and while it is running, add 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil through the opening of your blender. This is a thicker pesto, so if you like it runnier, feel free to add in more olive oil!
For the second vinaigrette, we need to whisk together 1 tbs olive oil, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp garlic powder, and a sprinkle of salt.
While the two sauces are sitting to the side, we can prep the vegetables. I used zucchini, roma tomato, red onion, cauliflower, and avocado. However, you could use broccoli, sweet potato, yellow squash to name a few as well. I cut the zucchini and red onion into thicker chunks, skewered them with kabob sticks, and drizzled a little olive oil on top.
I broke the cauliflower into smaller florets and put those on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil as well. Finally, I seeded a roma tomato and chopped that along with the avocado.
Now that everything is prepped, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get your grill going. While those are warming up, rinse off 1 cup of Farro under cold water for 1 minute or until water runs clear. In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add in 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, add in the Farro and simmer for 35 minutes or until farro is tender. Once it is cooked, drain with a sift.
While the farro is cooking, place the cauliflower in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Be sure to turn the cauliflower once so they are evenly cooked. Remove from the oven once cooked and let cool. Once the farro is drained, pour the farro back into the sauce pan and add the cauliflower to it. Stir in the lemon Dijon vinaigrette.
Finally, in a hot grill, place the kabobs over the flames. Let these grill for 5 minutes on each side or until they are softened and have good grill marks.
Assembly time! Pour some of the farro and cauliflower mixture at the bottom of a bowl. Then top with the grilled vegetables, chopped tomato, chopped avocado and drizzle with pesto.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 1/2 cup Farro or grain of choice
- 4 cups Water
- 1 Zucchini
- 1/2 a Red Onion
- 2 cups Cauliflower Florets
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 1/2 an Avocado
- Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 cups Fresh Basil
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 tbs Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast or Parmeson
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1 tsp Salt
STEP BY STEP
- For the pesto, add fresh basil, fresh parsley, red wine vinegar, nutritional yeast or parmesan, walnuts and salt to a blender. Turn the blender on high and while it is running, add 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil through the opening on top.
- For the dressing, in a bowl whisk together olive oil, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, and salt.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add 4 cups of water. In a fine mesh strainer, rinse the farro under cold water. Once water is boiling, add in the farro and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 35 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Chop your cauliflower into smaller florets and place on a lined baking sheet with a little drizzle of olive oil. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat up a grill to be over 300 degrees.
- Chop the Zucchini, Red Onion (or whatever veggies your using) into chunks and skewer them. Drizzle with some olive oil and place the skewers over the hot heat of the grill and grill for 5-7 minutes on each side or until you achieve good grill marks.
- Drain the farro once they are done cooking. Stir in the vinaigrette for the grain to absorb and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Place the farro in a bowl and top with the roasted cauliflower, grilled zucchini, grilled onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado. Drizzle the pesto over the top and enjoy!