Lunchtime for the Zucchini Series! Pizza is the perfect lunchtime go to because it is easy to transport to work, just as good cold, and can be made in advance.
This pizza is made with a vegan zucchini crust and topped with all the flavors of summer! Peaches, pesto, tomato, avocado, balsamic vinegar…gangs all here!
To make the crust, you need to grate 2 cups of zucchini. I grate right onto a cheese cloth and then wring out any of the extra fluid I can get. Then set it aside on some paper towel.
While the zucchini is doing it’s thing, I combine the flax eggs for the vegan version. Combine the flax seed and water in a bowl and whisk together. Let this sit for at least 5 minutes. If you are not vegan, feel free to use 2 regular eggs.
In another large bowl, add the grated zucchini with the garlic powder, fresh rosemary, grated black pepper, spelt flour, and almond meal, Stir so everything is evenly dispersed. Then stir in the flax eggs (or whisked regular eggs) and mix until everything is combined.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a pizza pan lined with parchment paper, lay out the dough and press it out with wet hands to avoid sticking. Press it out as thin as you like, I prefer and recommend thinner, so I pressed it out to 1/4 inch thick. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove the crust and up the oven to 425 degrees so it is preheated for baking the entire pizza.
While the crust is cooling, start slicing your toppings. Slice the peaches, tomato, and avocado. If you are not vegan, I highly recommend some fresh mozzarella sliced on top as well!
Once the crust is cooled, spread the pesto and balsamic vinegar onto the base of the crust. For the pesto, you can use your favorite jarred option or use my recipe here.
Lay the peaches, avocado, and tomato on top of the balsamic/pesto and lay out the mozzarella if you are using it. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and flake salt. If you are vegan, you can sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top as well! Extra fresh basil on top is a great addition too.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 Ripe Peach
- 1Roma Tomato
- 1/2 an Avocado
- 1/4 cup Pesto
- 2 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Ball of Fresh Mozzarella (if not Vegan) or 2 tbs Nutritional yeast (for Vegan)
- Balsamic Glaze
- 1 tsp Flake Salt
- Vegan Pizza Crust:
- 2 cups Grated Zucchini
- 3 Flax Eggs ( 3 tbs Flaxseed Meal and 7.5 tbs of Water)
- 1 tsp Fresh Chopped Rosemary
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tbs Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Spelt Flour
- 1/4 cup Almond Meal
STEP BY STEP
- Grate the zucchini onto a cheesecloth or paper towel and wring out extra fluid from the zucchini.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flax eggs; 3 tbs flaxseed meal and 7.5 tbs of water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond meal, spelt flour, garlic powder, rosemary, and pepper. Once mixed, stir in the grated zucchini. Finally, stir in the flax eggs until dough comes together and everything is evenly mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a pizza pan with a piece of parchment paper. Using wet hands, press the dough to form a thin crust on the parchment paper. Bake crust for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once the pizza crust is par-baked, remove it form the oven and spoon on your favorite pesto and balsamic vinegar. Spread across the crust.
- Turn the oven up to 425 degrees. On top of the pesto/balsamic vinegar, place the sliced peach, tomato, avocado and mozzarella if you're using it.
- Place pizza in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and sprinkle on fresh basil and nutritional yeast if you are making the vegan version. Drizzle with a balsamic glaze, slice and enjoy!