A Caesar salad used to be my sister’s go to at any restaurant growing up. I slowly began to understand why she loved them and also craved them regularly! This Caesar salad is a bit different than those form the past since it can be made dairy free and is quite a bit healthier, and may be even more delicious!
This is an easy recipe to throw together for a dinner or a starter salad for any get together.
To begin, I make the dressing. This a dairy free dressing but the cashews can be switched out for greek yogurt and nutritional yeast can be switched for parmesan cheese. If you are making the vegan version, we have to soak to raw cashews. You can soak them in a bowl with water that covers the nuts over night in the refrigerator or for at least 4 hours so soften. Once softened, drain the cashews and rinse before adding them to a blender.
In the bender add the rest of the dressing ingredients; water, Worcestershire, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend on high until smooth and place in the refrigerator.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and pull out two baking sheets. On one baking sheet, add the cauliflower florets and artichoke hearts and drizzle both with olive oil and salt. On the other baking sheet, add the cubed bread of your choice and drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt.
Once the oven is preheated, add the vegetables and roast for 12 minutes. Remove and toss the vegetables and place them back into the oven along with the baking sheet with the bread. Bake everything for 5 more minutes, toss the bread, and bake for another 5. Remove both baking sheets for everything to cool.
When you are ready to eat, add the romaine lettuce and kale to a bowl and dress them with the dressing. Place the salad on plates or in a bowl and top with the roasted vegetables, diced tomato, diced avocado, and the croutons. Sprinkle extra nutritional yeast or parmesan and enjoy!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3 large Leaves of Kale
- 3 or 4 Leaves Romaine Lettuce
- 1 cup Artichoke Hearts
- 1 cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 1 Avocado
- 1 slice of Bread
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Caesar Dressing:
- 3/4 cup Raw Cashews
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
STEP BY STEP
- In a bowl, add in the cashews and enough water to cover them. Refrigerate and let them soak for at least a couple of hours but can be overnight.
- Drain the soaked cashews and add them to the blender with the rest of the dressing ingredients. Blend on high until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for flavors to blend.
- Once ready to eat, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Add the cauliflower florets and artichoke hearts to a lined baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbs of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Cube the bread up and toss in olive oil, garlic powder, and salt. Lay out on a lined baking sheet and bake in the 400 degree oven for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove roasted vegetables and croutons from the oven and let cool. Chop the Kale and Romaine lettuce and place in a bowl. Drizzle as much dressing as you like and massage the dressing into the greens.
- Place the dressed greens onto two plates and top with the roasted vegetables, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, and croutons.