I have always been interested in trying to make falafel. One day for lunch, I was looking in our pantry and saw Chickpeas and thought I’d give it a whirl. We also had some leftover refried black beans and so a southwestern take was invented.
This meal can be combine with any of your favorite southwestern toppings, eaten plain, made bite size for tacos and appetizers! They are completely delicious, baked, and can be frozen for make ahead meals.
To begin, you need to drain and rinse a can of chickpeas. Afterwards, dump them into a blender. In the blender, add the fresh basil, fresh chives, fresh parsley, refried black beans, garlic, red onion, lime juice, olive oil, salt, turmeric, cumin. Blend on high until smooth.
I then dumped the batter into a bowl and added some flour and baking powder. Stir this all in by hand and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
While the oven is warming up, we can make the patties! It is a very wet and sticky batter, so line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone pad. Feel free to make whatever size you like, I made mine larger ( a thin hockey puck).
Once the oven is preheated, bake them for 20 minutes. Remove and flip them over and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove and let them cool for 5 minutes.
When you're ready to eat, serve them with fresh lime juice, tomatoes, avocado, and a drizzle of adobo sauce. You can also top with corn, salsa, jalapenos...options are endless!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 15 oz Can of Garbanzo Beans
- 3/4 cup Refried Black Beans
- 6 leaves Fresh Basil
- 1/3 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 3 tbs Chopped Fresh Chives
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Eggplant
- 5-6 Sundried Tomatoes
- 2 tbs Chopped Red Onion
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 cup Chopped Red Onion
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumn
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Toppings of choice such as diced tomatoes, avocado, corn, adobo sauce, and salsa.
STEP BY STEP
- Drain and rinse the can of Garbanzo/Chickpeas in a strainer. Add them to a blender with the refried black beans, red onion, basil, parsley, chives, garlic cloves, lime juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, and turmeric. Blend on high until smooth.
- Place the blended ingredients into a bowl and stir in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With wet hands, form patties, balls, in whatever size you like. Baking times are based on thin hockey puck size patties. Bake for 20 minutes, flip them over and bake for another 15-10 minutes.
- Plate with a dip, layer on a salad or taco, or as the main dish with toppings on top!