Layered Mediterranean Dip
There is an eggplant based dip which is called Baba Ghanoush. Fun to say and definitely fun to eat, a great change up from Hummus! This dip has a sundried tomato Baba Ghanoush base and different Mediterranean items layered on top. Perfect for entertaining and can be eaten with pita chips, crackers, or beet chips!
To begin, we need to roast some garlic and eggplant for the dip. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cube the eggplant into 1 inch chunks. Eggplants that are shorter and stout tend to have less seeds and are better choices when picking one out! For the garlic, just peel the garlic and you can leave the cloves whole. Toss everything in a little olive oil and roast for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once the eggplant and garlic are roasted, place them into a blender. In the blender, add the sundried tomato, red onion, tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, parsley, cumin, paprika, and salt. Blend on high and while it is blending, add up to 2 tbs of olive oil depending on how thick you want your dip. Blend on high until smooth.
Remove the dip and place it in a dish or a bowl. On top, you can add all of your favorite Mediterranean toppings! I did small heirloom tomatoes, artichoke hearts, English cucumber, greek olives, toasted pepitas. Feel free to add avocado, pine nuts, feta cheese,.. whatever you have on hand and love.
Serve with beet chips, pita chips, crackers, and or veggies. Hope you and your loved ones will enjoy it as much as we did!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1/2 cup Diced Tomatoes
- 7 oz Sliced Artichoke Hearts
- 1/2 English Cucumber
- 3 tbs Diced Greek Olives
- 1/4 cup Toasted Pepitas or Pine Nuts
- Baba Ghanoush:
- 1 Eggplant
- 5-6 Sundried Tomatoes
- 2 tbs Chopped Red Onion
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 2 tbs Tahini
- 2 tbs Plain Greek Yogurt
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Cumn
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
STEP BY STEP
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the Eggplant into 1 inch cubes and tossthe eggplant and 3 whole garlic cloves in 1 tbs of Olive oil. Lay out the eggplant and garlic cloves on a baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once roasted, remove the eggplant and garlic from the oven and place them in a blender. To the blender, add the sundried tomatoes, red onion, parsley, tahini, greek yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, and paprika. Blend on high while drizzling in the 2 tbs of olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Add the dip to the bottom of a dish. Layer the diced tomatoes, sliced artichoke hearts, seeded and diced cucumber, diced greek olives, and toasted nuts on top.
- Serve with pita bread, pita chips, or beet chips!