Beets are something I just started to appreciate. Now I love beets and enjoy them roasted, juiced, on salads, and in hummus. One of my favorite ways to eat them is in the form of a chip!
This method takes two steps; roasting in the oven and using a dehydrator. I like both because the oven gives them a great roasted flavor and the dehydrator ensures they roast evenly and are completely dried out. The added bonus to these chips besides being nutritious and delicious? The herb salt that is sprinkled on top!
In a bowl/mortar and pestle, add the salt, rosemary, and basil. Mix and smash together to ensure the herbs penetrate the salt and it is evenly mixed. For the beets, we need to peel them. Cut off the roots and the tops and use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. Then with a mandolin set to a medium setting, slice the beets into even rounds. I did a medium setting because I wanted to use these for dips and have a little bit more to them than a paper thin chip.
Once they are all sliced, toss them into some olive oil and spread out evenly onto two baking sheets. Place a baking sheet on top of the beets so that they are sandwiched between them. This will cause them to initially steam but ultimately will keep them flat!
Put the baking sheets into a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake for 20 minutes and remove them from the oven. Take the top baking sheets off and return them to the oven for another 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheets, flip the beets over, rotate the pans, and bake for another 15 minutes.
Remove the pans from the oven and sprinkle with the herb salt. Doing this while they are warm helps ensure that the salt sticks to the chips.
Transfer the chips to your dehydrator’s racks and dehydrate on high for 2 hours. Remove and enjoy or store in an airtight container!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3 Beets
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbs Fresh Chopped Basil
- 1 tbs Fresh Chopped Rosemary
STEP BY STEP
- In a bowl, add in the salt, fresh chopped basil and fresh chopped rosemary. Using a muddler, spoon, or mortar/passel, stir and smash it all together. Set aside for the salt to absorb the herb's oils.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prep the beets by cutting off the roots and stem. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin of the beet.
- Using a mandolin set to medium thickness, carefully slice the beets into thin rounds.
- Toss the sliced beets in the olive oil and lay out on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay another baking sheet on top of the beets to keep them flat and bake for 20 minutes.
- After those first 20 minutes, remove the beets form the oven, take off the top baking sheet, and place back rotating the pan and bake for another 15 minutes. Rotate the pan one more time to evenly bake and bake for 15 minute minutes.
- Remove the beets from the oven, sprinkle on the herb salt mixture, and place on your dehydrator racks. Dehydrate the chips on high for 2 hours. Store in an airtight container.