Avocoado Lime Chicken Salad stuffed Tomatoes
Fresh food with a lot of flavor. Simple ingredients that are in season. That is what summer food is all about! This recipe is perfect for summer because it uses fresh tomatoes, herbs, and vegetables in a fun new way!
I stuffed mine for a single meal portion per tomato. However, a perfect entertaining option is to stuff smaller tomatoes for bite size appetizers!
We are going to boil our chicken breast to keep it nice and moist and easy to shred. Fill a sauce pan half way with water and heat over medium-high heat or until it just boils. Add in your chicken breast and some salt and cook in a slow boil for 20 minutes.
Remove your chicken breast and let it cool and then shred it with two forks.
In a bowl, mash half of an avocado so it is smooth. Whisk in the juice and zest of 1 lime, Dijon mustard, minced garlic cloves, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper. This is the light and simple salad dressing that will bring the chicken salad together.
Dice the celery, red onion, chop the herbs, and get the corn ready. Add the shredded chicken, celery, red onion, parsley, dill, and corn to the bowl with the dressing and stir to evenly mix. Let this sit for the flavors to blend for up to 24 hours in advance.
When you are ready to eat, take a hot house tomato and using a small knife, cut around the stem at a slight inward angle to create cone shape. The step should remove easily and with a spoon, remove any liquid and seeds. Leaving the flesh inside is great and helps the tomato keep it's shape!
Using the spoon, stuff the chicken salad into the tomato. Slightly push down to ensure the chicken salad is filling all of the nooks and crannies! Fill it slightly over the top and sprinkle with more fresh dill and a little salt.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1/3 cup Corn Kernels
- 1/2 cup Diced Celery
- 1/4 cup Minced Red Onion
- 1 tbs Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 tbs Chopped Fresh Dill
- 1/2 an Avocado
- Juice and Zest of a Lime
- 2 tbs Dijon Mustard
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
STEP BY STEP
- Place a saucepan filled with water over medium-high heat with some salt. Add in your chicken breast and let it cook in a slight boil for 20 minutes. Remove, cool, and shred with forks.
- In a bowl, mash 1/2 of an avocado and stir in the lime juice, lime zest, Dijon mustard, sherry vinegar, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- To the avocado mixture, stir in the shredded chicken, corn, celery, red onion, chopped parsley, and chopped dill. Cover and refrigerate for flavors to blend.
- When you are ready to eat, take a tomato (I used Hot House) and cut a cone around the stem on top. Pull out the stem and cut the whole large enough to get a spoon inside and scoop out the seeds and juice, leaving the outer walls of the tomato alone.
- Fill the tomato with the chicken salad to the top and sprinkle of extra herbs for presentation!