Roasted Squash with Vegan Mushroom Cheese Sauce
Savory, cheesy, salty…usually something that is based with a whole lot of dairy and heavy cream. And it is usually delicious because of it. When we were in Vail, we had a mushroom dish that was wild mushrooms with this sauce over the top. It was so decadent and delicious, and I usually am not the biggest mushroom fan.
I was determined to remake the sauce in a lighter and dairy free version but with all of the deep flavors I remembered. This sauce is perfect! Great on top of any roasted veggies or pasta…it will quickly become a favorite in your household. Also, depending on how you portion it out and serve it, it can easily be converted from an appetizer, to side, to main dish!
To begin, I marinade the squash. I used both yellow squash and zucchini but you can use any vegetable here! Broccoli and Cauliflower could be great as well! For the marinade, mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder. Toss the veggies in it and refrigerate.
For the sauce, it is cashew based. So we need to soak your raw cashews in water for at least four hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Once you are ready to make the sauce, you can heat a skillet over medium low heat with some olive oil. Add in your sliced onions and sprinkle with salt. Saute for around 30 minutes or until caramelized.
Add the caramelized onions to a blender with Worcestershire, Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, nut milk, vegetable broth, and garlic. Blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth. You can refrigerate this mixture until you are ready to eat, which is nice to be able to make ahead!
Whenever you are ready, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet and lay out the marinated squash. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, remove and flip them over, and roast for another 15.
While the squash is cooking, heat a skillet over medium high heat with olive oil and saute your cleaned and sliced mushrooms for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Once cooked, add in the white wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan and cook for another 3 minutes. Then reduce the heat to low and add in the cashew sauce to warm everything together and keep stirring. You can also add more wine if you need to thin it out more.
Once the squash is ready, remove it from the oven and plate however you want! The drizzle the sauce over the top. If you aren’t vegan or enjoy dairy, top with your favorite grated parmesan or you can use a vegan parmesan as well! Finally, I sprinkled the top with fresh chives for a fresh flavor.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 tbs Fresh Chives
- "Cheese" Sauce:
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 cup sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1/2 Vidalia Onion
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews
- 1 tbs Worcestershire
- 2 tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Nut Milk
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 cloves Garlic
- pinch salt
STEP BY STEP
- To marinade the squash, whisk together 1 tbs olive oil, 1 tbs balsamic vinegar, and 1 clove of minced garlic. Cut off the tops and ends of the squash and cut them into wedges. Place the squash into the marinade and refrigerate covered for at least an hour.
- In a separate bowl, place the cashews and enough water to cover them. Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours or refrigerated over night.
- Place a sauté pan over medium-low heat and add the sliced onion with 1 tbs of olive oil. Sauté and stir occasionally until onions are caramelized and golden brown, usually 30 minutes.
- Add caramelized onions to a blender with Worcestershire, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, nut milk, vegetable broth, and 2 cloves of garlic. Blend on high until smooth. Drain the soaked cashews from the water and place them into the blender and blend into the sauce until smooth. Set sauce aside or refrigerate it until ready.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 400 degrees, remove the squash from the marinade, and lay it out on a lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes on each side.
- While the squash is roasting, place a saute pan over medium high heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Once warmed, add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown, usually 10 minutes. Next, stir in the white wine scrapping the bottom of the pan and letting it simmer for 3 minutes to cook of alcohol. Reduce heat to low and stir in the blended cashew mixture to warm through.
- Remove roasted squash and drizzle mushroom cheese sauce over the top. Finish with parmeson if you wish or extra nutritional yeast if vegan and some fresh chives.